Happy Friday bookish people! Today I’m posting a book tag that I saw on Adventures of a Bookish Girl’s blog – the 50 bookish questions tag! If you want to do this tag yourself, then consider yourself tagged.
- What was the last book you read? This might be cheating a little but I’m about 100 pages away from finishing The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter by Theodora Goss.
- Was it a good one? Yes! The first 100 pages were a bit slow but since the action picked up I’m loving it.
- What made it good? Hmm.. a lot of things are good about it but I think I’ll go with the mix of characters in the story.
- Would you recommend it to other people? Yes, definitely!
- How often do you read? I try to read every day but with my job and University work at the moment It’s been more like three or four times a week.
- Do you like to read? Um…yes.
- What was the last bad book you read? What A Way To Go by Julia Forster. It isn’t a bad book and other people might love it, that’s the great thing about books, I just got no enjoyment from reading it at all.
- What made you dislike it? I didn’t understand the setting or what was happening in the plot and I didn’t feel anything for the characters.
- Do you wish to be a writer? Yes, hopefully…I’m just finishing up my Creative Writing Master’s degree right now.
- Has any book ever influenced you greatly? Yes, although right now I’m blanking on the names of all of them.. of course.
- Do you read fan fiction? Nope.
- Do you write fan fiction? That’s also a no.
- What’s your favourite book? Right now my favourite book is, and it has been for a while, The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern.
- What’s your least favourite book? I can think of a lot of these, most of them are books I’ve had to read for my classes like the Odyssey by Homer, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, and Ulysses by James Joyce.
- Do you prefer physical books or read on a device? Physical books definitely, I don’t quite get into them as much if I read them on a device – plus glare from the screen.
- When did you learn to read? According to my mum I learnt to read before I went to nursery, which is age 4 in the UK, so I was quite young.
- What is your favourite book you had to read in school? Ooh that would either be Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck or Lady Audley’s Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon.
- What is your favourite book series? At the moment it is Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.
- Who is your favourite author? I can’t pick one for this, I have too many!
- What is your favourite genre? YA, Fantasy, Historical Ficiton, Crime/Thriller – oh wait that’s most of them…
- Who is your favourite character in a book series? …I can’t choose.
- Has a book ever transported you somewhere else? All the time! Every book really.
- Which book do you wish had a sequel? Hm..for this I’m going to say The Left Handed Booksellers of London by Garth Nix, I have to know what happened to the characters after the end of that book!
- Which book do you wish didn’t have a sequel? Ah, I don’t know an answer for this one – so far I don’t remember reading any sequels and thinking they would have been better leaving it at the first book.
- How long does it take you to read a book? That depends on how long it is. I usually read 100 pages an hour on average so a 400 page book I will read in about four hours.
- Do you like when books become movies? That’s a tough one because sometimes I like them and other times I don’t.
- Which book was ruined by it’s movie adaptation? The first one that comes to mind for me is Allegiant, the last book in the Divergent series.
- Which movie has done a book justice? Well, I think The Hunger Games was quite good, but the books are still better.
- Do you read newspapers? Not usually, sometimes I read the local one that comes through the letterbox.
- Do you read magazines? Only my monthly writing magazine and sometimes the odd history magazine if it is something I’m interested in.
- Do you prefer newspapers or magazines? Magazines.
- Do you read while in bed? Only if I can’t sleep and I decide to read to pass the time.
- Do you read while on the toilet? Um.. no.
- Do you read while in the car? Yes, especially on a long journey it makes the time fly by.
- Do you read while in the bath? After an unfortunate incident definitely not.
- Are you a fast reader? I’m told that I am so I guess so.
- Are you a slow reader? No.
- Where is your favourite place to read? It will sound strange but there’s this spot at the top of the stairs right outside the bathroom where the light is just perfect.
- Is it hard for you to concentrate when you read? No, it’s very easy for me.
- Do you need a room to be silent when you read? No, actually I like to have a show that I’ve seen a lot of times on in the background – but I do need people to not interrupt and try to talk to me a lot because that’s just annoying.
- Who gave you your love for reading? Nobody that I know, my family don’t read that much, other than me.
- What book is next on your list to read? Either Lore by Alexandra Bracken or Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.
- When did you start to read chapter books? I don’t know exactly but it was early apparently.
- Who is your favourite children’s book author? Tanya Landman probably, I loved her books.
- What author would you most want to interview? Stephanie Garber, the author of Caraval, I love her books and from her instagram she looks so lovely!
- Which author do you think you’d be friends with? All of them, I think I’m quite friendly so I’d just want to be friends with everyone.
- What book have you reread the most? The lady in the Tower by Marie Louise Jenson, historical fiction. The book is in quite the state.
- Which books do you consider classics? um.. classical books like pre-1800s maybe.
- Which books do you think should be taught in every school? Too many to even begin mentioning them here.
- Which books should be banned in all schools? I don’t really agree with banning books so I’m not going to answer this question.
That’s it for this book tag, I hope everyone enjoyed it!